On the hill to the north of the town is a reliable spring of pure water which is possibly the reason that the saxons chose to build their settlement in the hollow below. In 1275 this water was granted to the Prior, whose monks diverted it to the priory. The engineering feat with its channels and culverts was later to give rise to stories of secret passages
The spring now known as Silver well was purchased by the people in 1707 and piped in the other direction.
This in turn, fed the three conduits. In the 1950's, the water board of the time cut this local supply and the water returned to its original course through the Doggapit Meadows and under the Exeter Inn.